BIOL 211 - CELLULAR AND ORGANISMAL BIOLOGY
Lecture Outline for
Topic: photosynthesis, part 1
Chapter 6 sections 6.2, 6.3
Figures used in lecture: 6.3, 6.5, 6.6, 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, 6.10, 6.11
chloroplast, outer membrane, inner membrane, thylakoids, grana, stroma, photon, reaction center, chlorophyll, antenna system, accessory pigments, light-dependent reactions (photophosphorylation), light-independent reactions (carbon fixation), NADP+, NADPH, photosystem II, photosystem I,
As we look more closely at the reactions of photosynthesis pay close attention to three things:
1. movement of carbon
2. movement of electrons
3. use or production of ATP energy
You should be able to:
1. Draw and label a chloroplast showing the location of both membranes, the thylakoids,
grana, and the stroma.
2. Provide an overview of photosynthesis including:
a. the general formula for photosynthesis
b. the source for each reactant of photosynthesis (Where does the plant get it?)
c. specifically where and how each reactant is used during photosynthesis
d. specifically where and how each product is generated during photosynthesis
e. the destination of each photosynthetic product (What does the plant do with it?)
3. Describe the process by which the light dependent reactions capture light energy.
4. Describe the purpose of the antenna system and explain how it performs this function.