BIOL 211 CELLULAR AND ORGANISMAL BIOLOGY
Lecture Outline for
Topic: animal nutrition
Chapter 37 some from all sections
Figures used in lecture: 37.2, 37.6, 37.10, 37.12, 37.13, 37.15
Define/explain: heterotrophs, suspension feeders, deposit feeders, herbivores, predators, parasites, intracellular digestion, extracellular digestion, essential amino acids, vitamins, essential elements, electrolytes, alimentary canal, accessory organs, mechanical digestion, chemical digestion, bile, lipase, peristalsis, reabsorption
You should be able to:
1. List five types of feeding mechanisms used by animals and give an example of an animal for each mechanism.
1. Explain how each of the following is important to animal nutrition: essential amino acids, vitamins, essential elements, electrolytes
2. Describe the path of food through the human digestive system. Your explanation should include all organs mouth, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine and provide a function for each organ.
3. Explain the role of each of the accessory organs liver, pancreas, gall bladder.
4. Describe the digestion and absorption of each of the major categories of nutrients carbohydrates, proteins, amino acids
5. Describe the function of the major digestive enzymes including salivary amylase, pepsin, lipase, pancreatic amylase
Todays Lecture (
Five feeding methods
1. Suspension feeding
2. Deposit feeding
Types of Digestion
Essential amino acids:
Three processes within human nutrition: