Term Paper: Proposal for Confocal Study (150 points) Due October 7, 2003
Your term paper should be typed and double-spaced. It should propose a confocal study project.
The project may be related to your current research, a pilot project, or it can be an extended analysis of a sample previously provided for the class.
You should be able to complete the study in 8-12 less scanning hours.
Assemble the parts as follows:1. Title
2. Abstract (200 words). Summarize the project goals, what will be done, and significance. WRITE THIS LAST!
3. Background and Significance. (1.5-2 pages) Identify your question and/or hypothesis and how the confocal imaging approach will advance your goals .
4. Experimental plan. (3-5 pages) Design your experiment and describe your methods. Suggestions include:Lab Report: (150 points) Due Dec 2, 20035. References
Explain why you chose your fluorophore. Show excitation-emission spectra and explain why these are good choices for the BioRad 1024 system (Hint: include figures from the BioRad fluorophore filter selections site http://microscopy.bio-rad.com/fluorescence/fluorophora.htm.) Discuss signal to noise issues and sample preparation concerns. For feasibility, include an image you scanned yourself during Bio 591 either to show your technical expertise or to show preliminary data. Expected results Potential pitfalls/alternative approaches Data analysis Time table for the study
Part 1 100 pts Submit a 4-8 page lab report that contains these sections.
Part 2 50 points Images from tissue scans (TBA)
- summary of results from following your experimental plan (above).
- discussion of findings
- self-evaluation of your project that addresses
- how well you planned in light of results
- unexpected findings
- unanticipated difficulties.
- how you would apporahc the project if you could start again..
- figures should be included as an appendix and be annotated with figure legends as in journal articles.